Wednesday 26 March 2014

Punk/Grunge Album Art

The Punk era saw the rise of all girl bands, and the album covers often featured the women of the band representing the genre. Examples of the genre, contemporary and preceding, include: Slant 6, Bikini Kill, Dum Dum Girls, Gore Gore Girls, Haim, Joan Jett, Lunachicks, The Slits. In order to re-create this grunge/punk style, I analyzed what clothing constituted the look and  dressed Emma and Katy in appropriate pieces. As a fan of grunge and punk, I already owned some clothing  that could be used. 



 










I am quite pleased with the way these photographs turned out. Unfortunately, the band that wrote our song are not punk/or grunge, but I wanted to experiment with the moods created and the messages sent when dressed in a certain way/set in a certain place. The aim was reflect the what the music of that genre was about. Lines like "Sometimes being happy baby is what I'm most afraid of", "I don't give a damn about my reputation" and others of a similar vein present a vicious, rebellious attitude towards life, not something commonly associate with indie. Nonetheless, I enjoyed taking dressing Emma + Katy up and taking the photos immensely.
Next time, I will dress Emma and Katy in more 'indie' clothes and place them in more indie appropriate settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment