Wednesday 26 March 2014

Gotye 'Like Drawing Blood' Inspiration

I really like Gotye's album covers- they are usually abstract paintings/artwork that he himself has done. 'Like Drawing Blood' has quite a dramatic and violent cover, fitting well with its title- something I would like to do. Below are some photographs I took in response to Gotye's artwork.







Method/Set-up
I used liquid glucose mixed with red food colouring to make a thick, blood-like paste before dipping my hand in the mixture and smearing the walls and bath with it. For the drip and splatter effect in the first image, I let the black liquid drip from my fingers- it wasn't as well mixed as the red. The other effect was achieved by pouring the mix into Emma's cupped hands and waiting for it to trickle through the gaps in her fingers. The two penultimate pictures occurred while I was attempting to clean the walls with water and shower cleaner, diluting the glucose/food colouring, making it runny. It looked too disgusting and creepy not to take a picture.

Evaluation
Overall, I think the photos turned out well. They would all make interesting album covers, although perhaps not for our album- they're a little too crass for what we are attempting to do with our album. On the other hand, that dichotomy could work. However, both 'Crucify, Judge But Don't Pity' and 'Tyrant's Taste' have violent connotations, so I think that with the correct editing and font these images could work well as an album cover.
* U N F I N I S H E D *

No comments:

Post a Comment