Tuesday 1 October 2013

Narrative For Our Music Video + Lyrics

The song we have chosen is 'Closer To You' by The Coronas, which details the relationship between two people. Below is a wordle of the lyrics, showing the most important, or most used, words of the song.

My love, how does it know?
How the hell is she home?
Oh my god, she's home

You had me long before you could know
The back of my mind I couldn't get you to go
And as our conversation came to an end
I found myself closer to you again
Closer to you

I'm not sure where I stand
The best nights can't be planned

You had me long before you could know
The back of my mind I couldn't get you to go
And as our conversation came to an end
I found myself closer to you again

Several signs had led me to this place
Don't fancy my chances if it's left to fate
Something told me to take that chance
The whiskey may have had something to do with that
And a girl outta nowhere appeared
She told me to kiss you and then dissappeared
And the music it started to end
I found myself closer to you again
Closer to you
Closer to you

You had me long before you could know
The back of my mind I couldn't get you to go
And as our conversation came to an end
I found myself closer to you again
Closer to you


We interpreted the song as a story- a man simultaneously wants and does not want to be with someone. He's half her friend, half her lover.  

Ophelia by J.W. Waterhouse, 1894
After having come up with our interpretation, we asked others what they thought the song meant, and
realized that our interpretation was quite different from those we asked.
While choosing our song and reading lyrics, I had been working on a side project (A2 Art)  with a friend, focussing on Ophelia, and when reading the lyrics above, interpreted them in a similar Ophelia/Hamlet style. Therefore, our music video will be inspired by this- an almost modern re-telling of Hamlet.

Our narrative will consist of three settings or "strands", focusing on the couple Ophelia and Hamlet.
The first will consist of Hamlet, walking through the city at night, stopping people and 'telling' people his story, through the lyrics of the song.
The second will take place in a dark forest with Ophelia walking/running around in confusion, immediately creating a contrast to the business of the city.
The third will be a variety of still shots of Summer in separate bathtub in evening wear, symbolizing their drowning in emotions, inspired by Ophelia in Shakespeare's Hamlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment